Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Day 3 of 255

Yesterday was a fun and intense day in class.  Professor Yang started of the class with a story about the Chinese New Year which 2012 is the year of the dragon as well as firecrackers.  He told us that we would be like firecrackers and be intense for a few seconds and then fade away.  This was great because it not only got us active but it also taught us about the Chinese New Year.  You can incorporate so much with physical education.  He also taught us how to say Chinese New Year in Chinese and how to say one, two and three in many languages as well.  We then partnered up with a classmate and we did 20 seconds of intense activity and 10 seconds of resting and catching our breaths and we did this for a total of 4 minutes. The intense workout that we did was with throwing the Frisbee's and it was a lot of fun. Then we did a little bit of yoga and that is a great stretch I will tell you! Then Professor Yang then told us that we were going to group up and defend our goals and try to score on the others goals. It definitely got us sweating and working hard with little or no equipment. Being a physical education teacher you are going to have to adapt most things do to your environment or your equipment. It all comes down to thinking on your feet and trying to incorporate many different things into your lesson in order to teach the best that you can to your students.
Toward the end of the class we went down to the classroom and we were given the syllabus for EDU 255 and it seemed reasonable. Nothing really surprised me because I had had Professor Yang for PED 201 so I knew what to expect. I could see though that some of my classmates were shocked by all that we were going to have to do but I wasn't.  I am glad that I will have my 10 hours outside of the class though by being a TA for Professor Yang.  I am really glad that I get to do it at St. Mary's because that is the place where I grew and continue to grow as being a physical educator.  The above pictures are when I volunteered at St. Mary's last semester when they had their holiday bash. I helped run a car racing game, and I helped also tear down all the games. I just love giving back to the school that has helped me so much. This semester I went back actually and helped one of my friends coach the 4th and 5th grade boys for a practice. It was a blast!! I can't wait to see what upcoming opportunities I will have in the future!!

No comments:

Post a Comment